The Whitton Mindfulness Group Story
At the beginning of 2020, I decided to set up a series of 6 mindfulness classes in my local village hall. The idea was to deliver 90-minute sessions to help residents cope with anxiety and learn relaxation techniques based on my hypnosis and mindfulness experience.
Within a day or sharing this news on social media, I had 13 people booked on. Everything ran smoothly with these bi-monthly classes until lockdown rudely interrupted our flow a week after session 5. After a couple of weeks of adjusting to the new paradigm, I realised that these classes would become even more valuable, so I invited the group to continue working with me online via Zoom. I also made the bold decision to run these classes every week and open them up to other residents, family, and friends.
At the time of writing this, we have met every week for 25 weeks and the group has grown to a core of 17 people with 10 people on average attending every week. My initial concern was having enough material to keep people interested. However, this has never been a problem with new content and inspiration coming from a wide range of sources, as well as suggestions and feedback from the group. Members often describe the Tuesday sessions as “Me Time” and “The highlight of my week”. For many the sessions have proved to be a life-changing experience, a sentiment I echo.
Looking back, 2020 has been the year that forced many of us to adapt to new ways of thinking and behaving – not only to survive but to positively thrive. If you are thinking about setting up a local online group to provide support and inspiration to your community, drop me an email – I always reply and am happy to share my ideas and experiences with you.
If you have taken part in any of my group sessions and would be happy to leave a review for others to read and possibly encourage them to take part in future sessions, please use the green button opposite.
The original Itinerary/leaflet I posted in my village
- Tuesday 14th Jan A brief Introduction to the unconscious – A short demonstration on the power of imagination. Setting a goal for the classes and a guided visualisation for clearing emotional baggage.
- Tuesday 28th Jan Gain Control – Creating a ‘Personal Power Anchor’ to help you relax and gain control of your feelings/reactions. How to use Laughter to transform your mood within minutes and a simple technique for expanding a good feeling into an amazing feeling.
- Tuesday 11th Feb Phobias and habits – A discussion about the nature of habits and patterns of behaviour. Group hypnosis session to help you overcome limiting or destructive behaviours and beliefs.
- Tuesday 25th Feb Mental Cleaning – exploring the power of forgiveness and love using the Hawaiian practice of Ho’oponopono. Simple exercises to help you feel calm and relaxed and sleep better.
- Tuesday 10th March Natural pain relief – group hypnosis session to help alleviate any useless and unnecessary physical and emotional pain. Self-hypnosis tools to reduce pain and anxiety.
- Tuesday 24th March Revisiting your 1st week goals – Exploring the previous 5 weeks methods and experiences. Creating a mental well-being plan for yourself.
The below Facebook post images are a small sample of the subjects we covered each week.