The 4 Stages of Marketing Your Therapy Business
Stage 1. Nurture what you already have
Audience: Family, Friends, Previous customers.
We all have connections, it’s what makes us human. Whether you’ve just started your practice, or you’ve been at it for a while now, there are missed opportunities all around you. These obvious, but often ‘hidden in plain sight’ sources of business can easily be nurtured and become a rich seam of paying clients.
Family and Friends are often the first people to share their problems with you, and if you’re like me – you would never charge them for your services. However, when they tell their friends, family, or work colleagues about the amazing work you do and how you helped them, the potential reach is exponential. So, make yourself available to your friends in need. Help them out and when they offer to pay you – hand them 10 business cards and say, “I don’t want your money, but you can help me by giving these cards out to anyone you know that needs help”. You’ll be amazed how many referrals come back from your acts of good will. If you already have a pile of business cards in the drawer that you rarely hand out, put them to good use. Turn family and friends into your Hypnosis ambassadors.
Previous customers mean anyone you have ever done business with. The best way to get your head around this is to draw a timeline and make a list of all the customers you have ever personally engaged with. This is not limited to your present practice and should include everyone that was happy to trust you, your judgement, and services. The chances are, you’ll still have contact details for these people, and they will be happy to hear from you.
Split these into two groups:
Existing customers within your practice: You can go as far back as you like, these people already know what you do. A polite email that asks them how they are, shares some news about you or your practice and asks them if there is anything you can help them with now, will always be welcome. Or maybe they know someone who would benefit from your services. During Covid-19 I have regularly suggested this approach to my therapist clients. A short and simple, “Hi, how are you doing, I know these are crazy times we are all going through. I want you to know that I am available if you need any help”., will often elicit a positive response, creates good will and often results in a booking.
Customers from a previous life: Looking back over your long work history can often feel like witnessing someone else’s life. The best part is… all those people that have ever trusted you or bought from you – have all stored some positive data about your credibility. This puts you in an extraordinarily strong position to reignite that connection for your new roll/business. Reconnect with them in any way you feel that is appropriate and see where it goes. The question, “what are you doing now” is bound to come up and is a perfect opportunity to share what you do. If the conversation goes well, offer to drop in and see them and leave them some cards. This can be a wonderful and cathartic experience. People love to reminisce, and life never stands still. Try it, be curious and watch where it takes you.
The question about asking for reviews: We all know that reviews and testimonials are worth their weight in gold. Providing this kind of social proof on your website helps to build confidence and trust. Reviews can often make the difference between a healthy stream of new clients or zero clients. That’s why it is important to create a review process that’s hands-free and simple. I’ve personally tested dozens of platforms and even tried to create my own over the years, but none have come close to achieving what I needed.
Then I discovered a very clever aptly named platform called Boast. Boast enables you to send a review link to your clients (this can be manually or through your email list) asking them to leave you a review. The link you send to them is a customised form that encourages them to leave a written or video review, share their photo and leave a star rating – without them leaving the page. Click on the link below to view the form I send to all my clients.
As you have probably guessed, there are many things I love about Boast.
- I get to check each review before I authorise it to appear on my website
- I only had to add some simple code to my site once, and now all the new reviews appear automatically.
- I can personally grade each review to control which appears first and choose how many reviews appear on my website.
- I can categorise and control where my reviews appear at a granular level. Because I work as a therapist and marketer from one website, I can feature all of my marketing reviews on my marketing page and all my therapy reviews on my therapy page. This is perfect for anyone that offers multiple services. Image having a selection of reviews on every page of your website that relates directly to the service offered. You’ve probably guessed, this is my favourite feature.
- Boast also offer lots of brilliant marketing suggestions and even provide customisable email templates to send to your clients – and their customer service is superb.
- Boast offer a 14-day free trial to test drive it yourself. I have signed up for a full year and become an ambassador for them because I believe they have the best review platform available. If you would like to grab their 14-day trial, you can use the link below. This is an affiliate link, which means Boast will pay me a commission (I like to be transparent about that) and if you sign up using this link, I will gift you a free zoom call to help you set everything up on your website and build an attractive form to send to your clients.
Stage 2. Spread The Love >>Read Here<<
Please feel free to ask any questions below.
When you join my mailing list today you will get exclusive access to my free marketing resources and advice – to help you expand your growing therapy business. Simply click the green button below, add your details on the next page and look out for the confirmation email in your email/junk folder within 5 minutes. I’m looking forward to adding lots of value to your marketing efforts… Kev