The 4 Stages of Marketing Your Therapy Business
Stage 3. Generating demand for your practice using Facebook Ads (Part 2.)
The 7 crucial questions to ask yourself before you begin.
In part 1 of this article (Click Here), I promised to dive into writing the long copy for the FB advert, designing the FB post image, creating the freebie/landing page on your website, and to pull it all together with a scheduling app, as seen in the flow diagram above.
But before we get into all that detail there needs to be one thing that is 100% clear in your mind.
What are you selling/promoting?
This may sound like a silly question, but as with lots of things ‘Marketing Wise,’ we often get our priorities in the wrong order. How many of you have thought about starting a business in the past and immediately rushed into designing a business card? – I know I have. Or thought about building an online business and researched the domain main before checking to see if there was already lots of competition out there?
The point I’m making here is that you need to be very clear about what you are selling or promoting before you begin to start the ‘creative’ process.
If you are thinking about running Facebook ads, ask yourself these 7 questions. Once you get your head around this you will quickly notice that each question is directly connected with the 3-step process above.
- What am I selling specifically?
- What value does it deliver?
- How can I partially deliver this for free – to demonstrate competence and build trust?
- Who and where is my audience?
- What images and words will convey this message congruently?
- Can I automate this to be a simple ‘set and forget’ hands-free process?
- How will I measure the results?
Please copy and paste these 7 questions into a word document to reference later.
The flow diagram at the top of this page shows the process as a timeline of 1,2,3. However, the actual creative process must follow the completely opposite trajectory, because if you don’t know what you are selling specifically, you will struggle to communicate the right message to the right people and run the risk of wasting your time, money, and energy.
To help you grasp this I’ll create a hypothetical set of questions and answers.
But before I do I want to share a quote from Michael Neill’s book, Supercoach
“As long as you see money as a scarce resource, you will continually inconvenience yourself in order to get it. As soon as you have made yourself the scarce resource, money will inconvenience itself to get you.”
You can make yourself a scarce resource by offering a service that is specialised. Instead of offering Hypnosis for sleep, this example will offer Hypnosis to help you sleep during menopause.
- What am I selling specifically? Hypnosis to help you sleep during menopause. A 3-session hypnotherapy and mindfulness package for $415
- What value does it deliver? List all the benefits of getting a good night’s sleep and how this improves every area of your audience’s life, (deeper/longer sleep, clearer thinking, reduced stress/anxiety, improved digestion, improved memory, reduced hot flushes, fatigue, and headaches.
- How can I partially deliver this for free – to demonstrate competence and build trust? Create relaxation audio or video or a pdf with some self-help tips and hacks to improve sleep and reduce stress. Then offer a free discovery call to answer questions/explain how working 1:1 with you can help them.
- Who and where is my audience? My audience is English speaking females aged between 40 and 64+ with a disposable income who are open to alternative therapies.
- What images and words will convey this message congruently? Soft sympathetic colours, images of peaceful sleep, and words that are reassuring focussed, and positive.
- Can I automate this to be a simple ‘set and forget’ hands-free process? Yes, by using the 3-step process in the diagram above and reading my previous article that outlines the process in detail.
- How will I measure the results? There are many ways to measure results. The obvious one is to compare the cost of the Facebook ads with the income received as a percentage. $200 spend on ads and 4 packages sold at $415 ($1660) = 830% return on investment. You can also measure the ratio of free discovery calls to packages sold. 10 discovery calls resulting in 4 packages sold = 40% conversion. Or, if you want to dive deeper, take the number of video views on your landing page compared with the number of discovery calls booked. 400 video or audio views on your landing page and 20 discovery calls booked = 5% conversion rate. The great part about this is, if you can improve the numbers at one end, you can quickly see how it will affect results at the other end. This can be achieved by increasing the ad budget or improving the ad content, increasing the free call to sales ratio, or testing different videos/audio on your landing page. These changes can be as simple or as complex as you wish.
Management expert ― Dr. H. James Harrington puts it like this:
“Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement. If you can’t measure something, you can’t understand it. If you can’t understand it, you can’t control it. If you can’t control it, you can’t improve it.”
Once you’ve thoroughly thought about and written down your 7 answers – you will have the blueprint and key components for a healthy advertising campaign. This will massively help you write great ad copy, design stunning landing pages, and create a value-packed free resource that ticks all the boxes for your target audience. It will also give you clarity and confidence to finally put together and implement an advertising plan and create a well-oiled lead generation machine for your therapy business.
In the next article, I’ll revert back to the 1,2,3 process and give you a simple template to help you write compelling long copy for your first FB ad and some important rules about FB images and text.
Please feel free to ask any questions below.
When you join my mailing list today you will get exclusive access to my free marketing resources and advice – to help you expand your growing therapy business. Simply click the green button below, add your details on the next page and look out for the confirmation email in your email/junk folder within 5 minutes. I’m looking forward to adding lots of value to your marketing efforts… Kev